Monday, November 19, 2012

Is my obnoxiously filled book shelf a collection?


It is weird for me to think that all of my books are an actual collection.  Now that I have actually thought about it, I suppose it is a collection.  I have a UK edition of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.  It doesn't even have a US price on it.  When I saw it at Half Price Books I pretty much had to buy it.  I gave away my favorite copy of Invisible Monsters and when I bought it again I had to buy the edition that had the same cover as the one I had given away.  You will also notice in the picture that I have a giant inflatable brain I got when I went to see Chuck Palahnuik on his book tour last year. It was fantastic.  I would like to have my own home library, but I guess I never thought that would be a collection.  When I hear collection it has a weird connotation to me.  I love my books that they just are a part of my room and my routine.  

This post probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I am SO burned out from writing my essay.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely! You have a mighty fine collection. I spy a Harry Potter book :]
    I'm super jealous of that Chuck Palahnuik brain. What a phenomenal collectable.
    Just the fact that you said you HAD to buy that book in the store means that you are completely invested in your collection. Obviously, you didn't literally have to buy that book (unless someone was holding a gun to your head and said, "Buy this or I'll shoot you," but even then, you technically don't HAVE to save your own life), it was your own subconscious desire to add it to your collection.

    Thanks for sharing! I'm burnt out from writing my essay as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its pretty awesome to have a collection of some sort. The only collections I have is of pictures or posters. I'm glad that someone else has a shelf with books piled everywhere because I do, but they are all for school and I will be selling them back, so there goes that collection. I think its awesome that you are so dedicated to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a book collection too! They aren't rare or expensive books necessarily, but I love them all and try to take care of them (and this is why I'm destined to be a psychotic cat lady, but with an AMAZING library!). Although my desire to hoard books makes trips to the library interesting...I think my fines alone keep the UNT library running. Once I have a book I don't want to give it back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Books = collection. I think part of what turns a pile of similar stuff into a collection is the emotions that are packed with it. You have a collection of something special to you, things you either bought on a whim or searched for. It something that provokes something from you after all.

    I wouldn't be surprised if most all of us within the class are mega hoarders of books. We are English majors after all (stereotype perhaps?). I know I have a nice little library being developed and I'm always looking forward to putting more in it.

    I wonder though, what would be the difference between a collection of books and a library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the difference is that one is a personal collection...each book is thought about before it is added. A library is a public collection...there is no real personal feelings attached to the book. I could never let a stranger borrow my books! I would have no way of knowing if they were taking care of it!!!!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. I think the difference is that one is a personal collection...each book is thought about before it is added. A library is a public collection...there is no real personal feelings attached to the book. I could never let a stranger borrow my books! I would have no way of knowing if they were taking care of it!!!!!

      Delete
  5. As someone who owns so many books I've got 8 bookshelves, books on nearly every surface, and 3 large totes full of books in my closet I would say that yes...books count as a collection. I agree with Paige Lollie in that what makes it a collection has to do with my emotional attachments to the items. I am now in the process of deciding which ones I can live without because I can't take all these books with me when I move to Ireland :( Ok...I have to go hug my books now!!!!

    ReplyDelete