Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The Loves of the Plants and Personification
What really impressed me in Darwin's poem is also probably the most obvious aspect, the personification of the plants. For some reason or another, the way that he gave these plants hands, arms, or eyes to roll resonated with me and the vision that I as a reader gained from these descriptions. The language that was used created images that actually made me think of old cartoons in which plants and forest sprites interacted without human observation. These qualities were inevitably used in some way and exuded personality within these actions. Darwin adds a layer of humanity to the plants by giving them a certain personality whether it is when they "clap'd their rude hands" or the way one "lolls his red tongue". I almost felt that I could interact with them in the same way they related to each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree. Even before I read the poem a second time, ignoring the footnotes, I was very impressed by Darwin's ability to personify the plants. Each plant had it's own life and feelings, creating an emotional connection.
ReplyDeleteI liked this as well. I like the way he gave every different type of plant a personality and even a love story. It seems almost like something a child would do, except that he has the scientific background to enhance his fantasies and turn them into a work of art.
ReplyDeletethe idea of old cartoons is something I've thought of as well--especially the political cartoon Pogo by Walt Kelly, which ran in the 40s and 50s. This comparison points our attention to the political subtext of Darwin's poem: he was an atheist and social reformer, and the poem gives voice to his radical sentiments (among other causes, he supports prison reform, educational reform for women, and the abolition of slavery).
ReplyDelete