Thursday, September 13, 2012

Unique Teaching Methods

Darwin's "Loves of the Plants" is a beautiful poem full of imagery, personification and an abundance of adjectives. Although the scientific aspect is a bit boring Darwin compensates for this with his fluidity of words. This poem also shows the multiple aspects of Darwin himself. He is at first a scientist. Detailing the terminology of botany (which was very dry) and giving a history lesson on Linnaeus. I worried with trying to remember the multiple classes, species, families and orders of plants. This caused me to be a little weary of the poem. I was pleasantly surprised however. Darwin is not only a gifted botanist but also a gifted poet. He describes the flowers as not flowers but as people. People who have emotions, sex lives and problems. I think Darwin uses this unique technique in order to get more people interested in botany; a method which I'm positive has worked in Darwin's time and in modern times.   

1 comment:

  1. I like the insight that you have here. The post title, "Unique Teaching Methods" caught my eye because I'm not sure whether or not we addressed this in class, but I think that Darwin certainly used this poem to teach botany in an unconventional way.

    ReplyDelete