I, like many of the posts below, am not a fan of The Prologue. I do not understand the reasons why Wordsworth would revoke the creative license of his audience. I mean, I understand why he did it; he wanted to clearly (although whether The Prologue is clear is debatable) explain not only his process, but the intention behind his poetry. But the reader no longer has an individual reading. I feel a very close connection with Wordsworth's Prologue to Bowles' idea of the picturesque. He believed that it was something to be taken generally, and that the parts of the whole were not as important as the whole itself. I feel like Wordsworth comes across with this mindset, that his general concept of the poem (political themes, for example) is more important than any other individual reading that the poem could be interpreted in. It makes me feel as if Wordsworth had little to no faith in not only his audience, but in his poetry.
But The Prologue wasn't all bad. I really liked how Wordsworth explained the differences between poetry and prose and why he chose to convey his message through poetry in the first place. But I find it ironic that he eventually resorts to a very prose-like prologue to convey what he felt poetry was better at conveying.
I personally feel like the work should speak for itself, and the author doesn't find the vast majority of his audience coming to the 'right' conclusions about his work, then it is ultimately HE who has failed in what he was trying to accomplish in his poetry. I'm not saying I don't like Wordsworth or anything. I'm just not a fan of the idea that he should explain anything. If he wanted to drill a certain message into people's heads, don't be so opaque about it. I can't say it's the same as it was then though. Obviously we had a harder time seeing things like the slave trade in the Ancient Mariner, but maybe his peer audience didn't. If they did, then it's a problem Wordsworth and Coleridge would need to solve in revision, NOT in blatant explanation, that is, itself, opaque.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the long winded comment. I just don't like this kind of explanation. It totally takes away from the author's credibility in my opinion.