Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wordy Wordsworth

In my opinion Wordsworth spent far too much time trying to explain his poetry. A paragraph or two would have sufficed quite nicely. However, with that being said, I do feel as though I have a better grasp of what Wordsworth was trying to accomplish by writing his poems. I found it very interesting that he said his poems do indeed have a specific purpose and that the subject is "indeed important!", exclamation mark included. The Preface helps the reader to understand what Wordsworth considered the most important aspects of poetry. He mentions several times that the language of his poems differs from the language of most other poems. By pointing this out, Wordsworth is trying to push the reader to view his poetry differently than the way they read many other works.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly had to take a few breaks in my reading about "when's" "where's" and "why's". I felt as though it took away from open interpretation that is supposed to be left to a reader after reading a poem.

    ReplyDelete