Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Preface

I am not particularly a fan of The Preface. I think that it takes too much time trying to explain specific details, when in reality poetry is usually open to different meanings and interpretations. The way that Wordsworth dumps information out is a little bit overwhelming. It was also difficult for me to interpret. The sentence structure is very long and it takes too long to get to the sentence's meaning. I really agree when Desdemona Cranshaw when she said that poetry needs to speak for itself. Wordsworth did not need to take the time to clarify his intent to the general public.

2 comments:

  1. This is basically the point of my post. Why try to explain poetry? This type of literature is ripe for interpretation, so you shouldn't take that away from the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think that poetry is such an open piece of work that I found it interesting that Wordsworth would create a preface. Wouldn't even have read it if we weren't assigned to.

    ReplyDelete