One of the things I noticed while reading Gilpin
was his slight admonishing of the individual in picturesque nature as well as
his pace. For Gilpin, it seems that Nature is something general and something
quick.
With Bowles and his poetic interpretation of the picturesque, he
not only includes a lot more detail, but also shows Nature slowly and much more
figuratively. It seems as if Nature is a bit unknown, and mystic; that’s what
makes it beautiful. There is a broader use of the senses; Nature is something
not only to be seen, like in the pictures we viewed in class, but to be felt
and sensed. Nature is not just a whole composed of pieces, but significant
pieces that compose a whole. This sort of collecting is not so much about control and
instead of an expansion of knowledge (like Gilpin), the picturesque is an
expansion of imagination. And yet for Bowles, I feel there is still a little sense of
control present, this time with Nature over man.
For Wordsworth (whose poems I absolutely adored), nature is not only
expanded, but it expands the human individual. There is a balanced relationship
where for the first time, there seems to be a balance of control and an
exchange of expansion. Nature defines man and in some way, man defines Nature.
Wordsworth further expands what I saw in Bowles’ sonnets; he sees the awe and
individual pieces of Nature. Man was made to perceive Nature and Nature was
made to be perceived.
I agree with your critique of Gilpin. I found that for him, nature was something beautiful to glance at but not all of it was worth his time. It almost seemed as if he had a complaint about every scenery he described. He acknowledge the good, pointed out the bad and moved along.
ReplyDelete