Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Nostalgia and Wordsworth


I have studied “A Few Lines Composed Above Tintern Abby” by Wordsworth several times and I fall in love with it every time I do.  His imagery is wonderful and the pictures it creates makes you feel like you are sitting on with him and his sister staring down at the ruins of Tintern Abby.  One of the prevalent themes I see in this poem is that of nostalgia.  Wordsworth mentions several times that when he feels overwhelmed by the life he leads in the city he thinks back to the wonderful memories he has in the area surrounding Tintern Abby “Oft, in lonely rooms, and mid the din of town and cities, I have owed to them, in hours of weariness sensations sweet…feelings too of unremembered pleasure” (lines 26-32).  Wordsworth has such a strong connection with nature it pains him to feel disconnected and completely separated from it. It’s interesting to read about someone who feels so intensely about nature because in today’s age everything is so city oriented. It is hard to go out in the middle of nowhere and see nothing of modern society.

No comments:

Post a Comment