Thursday, September 20, 2012

Collecting Differences

When Wordsworth visits Tintern Abbey on the occasion described in the poem, it has been five years since his last visit, and rather than wandering on his own in a rather moody and generally "poetic" fashion, he is visiting on a tour with others. I think the poem highly reflects on the passage of time as a whole and how, while nature is generally unaffected by it, Wordsworth has certainly changed. For the better? I'm not too sure. The start of the poem focuses heavily on how very little the abbey and the surrounding landscape have changed aside from its usual transformation with the seasons. Wordsworth himself, however, though collecting the same landscape for the second time, views it differently and completely separately from his first experience. Though I think he may be a bit startled at how much he has changed as a person, he accepts this and views the abbey and its surroundings as a familiar comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment