Monday, September 17, 2012

The Power of Memory

      Lines Composed a few Miles Above Tintern Abbey, on Revisiting the Banks of the Wye During a Tour.  July 13, 1798. While  the poem is most commonly referred to as simply Tintern Abbey I feel it is quite important to be aware of the entire title. That simple line lets the reader know what to expect of this poem. Wordsworth is not at Tintern Abbey, he is a few miles above it on a hill...and this is not his first visit. To me this poem is all about the power of memory and how it can effect you. Wordsworth said it himself when he said that the memory of Tintern Abbey had "no slight or trivial influence/On that best portion of a good man's life." The idea seems to be presented that the beauty and joy taken in on his first visit gave Wordsworth the ability to be a better human. In times of darkness he could close his eyes and revisit this place to give himself some peace. Another show of the memory of this location is that on this visit he has brought his sister ("friend") with him and he hopes that "Thy memory be as a dwelling-place/For all sweet sounds and harmonies" and when she thinks of him after he is gone that "with what healing thoughts/Of tender joy wilt thou remember me,/And these my exhortations."
      In conclusion....I think Wordsworth is an amazing poet who brings an image to the page with a special mastery. When he writes it I can imagine sitting on that hill above Tintern Abbey seeing, hearing, and feeling all of the things he did at that long ago moment. The love he has for nature is present all throughout this poem.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you emphasize the importance of the title and the fact that he is revisiting Tintern Abbey. I feel like the memory of something is vastly more important than the actual experience, because that is what we will hold onto. Reaffirmation is always a good thing, so I believe that the way Wordsworth recalls the Abbey when he is in the city is what matters more than his second visit. I appreciate the attention to the title, something most people overlook.

    ReplyDelete