Wednesday, September 19, 2012
The Beauty in Nature
Wordsworth has a way of describing nature that makes me feel as though I should immediatley walk outside and find something beautiful. Unlike Gilpin's Observations on the River Wye, Wordsworth describes beauty and the way the scenery stirs his emotions. For me, Wordsworth is much more enjoyable to read, and I feel like the second stanza is very relatable to anyone who enjoys nature and being able to walk away from the hustle and bustle of city/town life. Wordsworth also understands how powerful memories are with helping people cope.
Labels:
Knikki
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, Wordsworth is much more enjoyable to read. I felt like Gilpin was overly critical of nature and had such a strict definition of what makes nature "picturesque" that it took a lot of the enjoyment out of nature.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. While I was reading Wordsworth, I wanted to hop in my car and go find some mountains to look at. His description of nature is so powerful. It really stirs up a number of emotions. I felt like nostalgia was one of the biggest emotions he was trying to portray.
ReplyDeleteAgreed! Wordsworth was a much better read than Gilpin. I enjoyed it, and it made me want to go exploring!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about Wordsworth's way with drawing human emotions out with scenery. It was interesting to see how he reflected on the past but it was more-so rediscovering it in a new light.
ReplyDelete