Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Recollections after a Ramble": Merry-Go-Round

Clare's "Recollections After A Ramble" felt as if I was on a merry-go-round. His repetition of rings "And the rings went whirling round", "As round the camp they danced a gig", "The Shepherd he was on his rounds", "At 'roley poley' down the hill", "Oak trees dancing round and round", "Saw the rings the droplets made", creates this effect of constant turning. It mimics the cycle of nature itself, which the poem does overall through the seasons. I just found it interesting to find that amount of repetition and it justified why I felt as if I were going round and round while reading the poem.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't picked up on this connection, I'm really glad you posted this insight. For me I think I just got caught up in the "ramble" of things. But as the seasons pass, it really just is an infinite cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this perspective of looking at it. The style does reflect the cycle of nature...thanks for pointing this out. The amount of repetition is like a merry-go-round...around and around and around.

    ReplyDelete