Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Tortoise and the Hare Retold

While reading Timothy I was struck by how familiar this story felt.  It felt like a retelling of the childhood story of "The Tortoise and the Hare" and the lesson where slow and steady wins the race is slowly drilled into your brain. Especially when Timothy said "my slowness is deceptively fast".  I believe that is what makes the difference.  We feel that we have to rush around to be productive (guilty as charged) when really it is just making sure we do things correctly the first time.  I think what made Timothy truly interesting is that it was an opinion of humans from a nonhuman.  This reptile is able to garner an accurate portrayal of human life, simply by observing our behaviors.  I feel like the line " I have seen these humans in their disarray.  Far more common than any finery" (13) and I had to laugh at this outside perspective.  We like to believe that we have everyone fooled, but a tortoise that spends 1/4 of the year buried in the ground can see through it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I really like the almost hidden moral there was. That line you mentioned does stand out and just speaks to how life should be and how we should not be overrun by a need to do something.

    ReplyDelete