Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rambling

After reading a couple of John Clare's poems, I realized that he had some pretty nice things to say; however, I feel as though it took him forever to get to the point of the message he was attempting to convey. I was also a bit confused when reading The Nightingale's Nest because at one point it referred to the nightingale as a girl  and then a few lines down it says "his speckled breasts," so I must have missed a few words or something. Bring back Wordsworth!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the poems DO ramble, and that is really very much Clare's point: he is using the form of the poem to re-create his experience in the world in your experience of reading the poem. He is rambling along a path, just looking around and noticing all different things--and that is what it feels like when you read the poem, right? This is very modern in a lot of ways--it is technique that 20th century poets exploit. It can be disorienting, but also very fresh. It is one of the ways Clare brings us (readers of poetry) closer to nature.

    ReplyDelete