I
enjoyed Klinkenborg’s Timothy more
than any other piece we have read. It was easier to follow. I thought it was
pretty much hilarious throughout its entirety. I also felt a heavy sense of
environmentalism in the narrative. From Timothy’s perspective, humans seemed to
be detached from the Earth and their environment. It was like Timothy was quite
literally down-to-Earth while the humans were lost in a web of beliefs and materialism.
I thought that this was the biggest comment the piece made, but it did so from
within a pleasant narrative about an old turtle. I enjoy the excellence of this
style of writing. Also, I enjoyed White’s narrative for its close descriptions
of endless details. I think he was on to something very compelling in his
opinion that thoroughly observing the details of a region uncovers a history
one might otherwise miss.
I really enjoyed this piece as well. I like that you compare it to a web, which is yet another natural comparison. I feel like it is easy to relate people to other objects, which is exactly what you talk about in your post. I don't think I fully understand your last sentence about the history though. Do you mean the history of the region or the people of the region?
ReplyDeleteI think if you take a good hard look at the environment people live in, you will see certain things that tell a more vivid story of their history and themselves than you would get from personal acco. For example, think about what I-35 and all the connecting highways say about people who live in DFW. Obviously, we can say that they tell us we drive cars, but they also tell us we drive cars fast and with lots of other cars. So we need to be places in a hurry. But why? If you look more closely you see businesses linning the highway, and so on and so forth. If you ask me to tell you my history, I'll tell you something about being from a small town and really liking cheeseburgers and Mexican food, but if you go to the town I'm from, I'm sure you'll get a better story.
ReplyDeleteI think your right about this being about environmentalism. There were many poets who wanted to escape the industrial growth and did so by writing about the beauties or stories they had with the environment.
ReplyDelete