Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Badgers and Birds and Clare, oh my!

First off, I agree with Marinna concerning the style of the poem being easier to understand. Clare's language and rhyme scheme are much simpler than those of Bowles and Wordsworth. I was able to breeze right through each poem and did not feel as though there was a lot of emotional depth intended. The poem The Badger is probably the most emotional in my opinion considering I felt horrible for the way in which the badger was killed. Clare seems to be quite fond of nature, similar to Gilpin, except on a more superficial level. Clare's poetry also resembles the other poets because in the first poem Reccolections after a Ramble, the narrator speaks fondly of years past. Stanzas twenty-eight and twenty-nine are perfect examples of "reccolections" on the past with the lines "Some wi many an anxious pain Childish wishes did pursue" and "Then I stood to pause again Retrospection sighd and smild". This looking back on emotions of the past stuck out in my mind as the deepest aspect of Clare's poem. As for the bird poems, I think that all three seemed too similar to enjoy reading more than one in a sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment