Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Firetails Nest

I read this poem twice before I decided on what story it was telling me. I enjoyed the imagery of the different birds going about their daily tasks, tweeting, tootling, crying to their offspring and mate. However, the juxtaposition of this mournful Firetail, really caught me off guard. With the introduction of man into nature, I should have known that only death and destruction should follow! Poor, unfortunate mother bird, if only her blue eggs truly "in safety lie." The hedger-to his toil returns- shaping the landscape to his will, ignorant of the precious life he is destroying. Perhaps, taking away from the picturesqueness of the unfolding scene.

Overall, I think I liked these smaller poems better.

1 comment:

  1. I also found myself feeling really sad for the birds as well. I couldn't help but notice that the author had no remorse for the destruction of these poor creatures. I was really happy to read the shorter length poems versus the 20 page or more poems. It gave me more time to be able to actually feel something from what the author was saying rather than just reading words to get it over with.

    ReplyDelete