Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Keats' Infatuation with an Urn

In "Ode to a Grecian Urn" Keats seems completely in love with this urn and the contents of it's images. The people and the scenes depicted seem to be something Keats longs for, and longs to experience; like he is jealous of the it for having the things that he wants. I don't know anything about Keats or his class or lifestyle so I can't say any of my guestimations are accurate, but that is what called out to me.
The first three stanzas go from a calm mood and ease into a feeling of euphoria from seeing this "happy, happy love!" Is he jealous of it and bitter because of that? The last two stanzas enter back into a more removed, thoughtful point of view as Keats seems to wonder at the lives and scenes of this ancient urn. It just reminds me of when people talk about 'the good old days': some point in time when the speaker thinks life was better and everything was more simple in a beautiful sort of sense. Is this what Keats is thinking about the ancient Greeks?

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of jealousy. I hadn't thought of him being jealous, but thinking on it now, I don't think Keats is so jealous of the love that is between the lovers as he is jealous that the love and lovers have been immortalized on the urn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather than infatuation, I would lean more towards some sort of engrossment with what he's taking in. I think Keats is the kind of man who would appreciate good art when he sees it, and then could further that appreciation into perhaps adoration. Not only is this urn attractive because of it's ornamental value, however. It also holds a history, one that Keats is transmutating into a story rather than holding true for persepective's sake.

    ReplyDelete