Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Elgin Marbles

 I always forget how much I love Keats' work until I'm reading one of his poems wishing I could go back in time to meet this wonderful poet.  The poem that entranced me the most was "On Seeing The Elgin Marbles," which does a great job at describing the emotions felt when one thinks about death.

There are several things I like about the poem.  The first is Keats' use of enjambment throughout the piece.  The enjambments in the poem let the piece flow so effortlessly that I actually had the urge to read this aloud to a few of my friends.  The second thing I enjoy about this poem is the imagery and the way he uses it to heighten his feelings toward death.  One part in particular that always gets me is in the following lines:

So do these wonders a most dizzy pain,
That mingles Grecian grandeur with the rude
Wasting of old Time--with a billowy main --
A sun-- a shadow of a magnitude.

I feel that these lines accurately depict how our lives are so fleeting, and how once we die, we only leave behind a small piece of our former glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment