Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Keats' Love of the Urn

Keats' poems seem different from the ones read thus far. I really liked how the second sonnet, "On Seeing the Elgin Marbles", was full of emotion. This was mainly because of the use of words such as "mortality", "god-like", "weep" and "die".

Keats' "Ode on a Grecian Urn" is one my favorite poems I have read while in this class. I love how Keats gives life to the scene on the urn by creating characters and settings from the 2D images. Keats seems to really envy the beauty in a moment that will never change whether in regard to lovers, a beautiful day, or the process of aging. This urn may be old but the scene depicted upon it will always remain the same. The sunny day will never become rainy, the lovers will never grow old or fall out of love. The very last line of the poem impacted me the most because of the emotional feeling it conveyed. Keats seems to have a firm grasp on what beauty truly means.

No comments:

Post a Comment