I loved reading Keats. I was first introduced to Keats with
the movie Bright star, which I loved so much I decided to use it for my
username. Oddly enough I had only read one sonnet by Keats (Bright star), which
is beautiful and one of the few poems I love. I was a little weary about
reading these; the titles seemed a little stiff to me. However, I was
pleasantly surprised. "On Seeing the Elgin Marbles" Keats has an
amazing way of connecting the two topics of death and Greek sculptures
together; something that I would never think to link together. However, even
though I greatly liked it, I find "Ode on a Grecian Urn" a little
confusing. The beginning was easy enough to follow; the speaker is addressing
the urn and describing the depictions of it, while at the same time admiring
how even though it is lifeless it is immortal as a work of art. The few last
lines of poem threw me off. I did not know who exactly was saying, "Beauty
is truth, truth beauty”, is it the speaker or is it the urn speaking to the
speaker?
No comments:
Post a Comment