Thursday, October 11, 2012
Keats
I love Keats work and wish we could read more of him. He makes poetry seems so effortless when in fact, it's really hard. I love how both the poems we read compare death and artifacts seamlessly. I love how in Ode to a Grecian Urn Keats uses the urn as a base point to compare death and immortality. He perfectly captures how death effects those left behind. He depicts how death is both sad and beautiful because it leads to immortality. Its an accurate mix of emotion and the way he uses the urn and the funeral to make a point is brilliant. And I love how all this is done by contemplating the lives of the people drawn on the urn. Ali mentioned how the second stanza is her favorite and it is mine too. I love how there is this idea that the young lovers love is pure and forever because they're on the urn. I love how this mirrors the idea that death brings immortality and thus, their love will be forever in the afterlife. I have to admit though the last few lines about beauty is truth-I'm not sure if he is being sarcastic or if he is making statement about what is truly beautiful and truthful-which is art. I also loved how "On seeing the Elgin Marbles" Keats depicts death. You feel as if you are there with him, watching him die. The depiction and the emotions are so relatable as are the emotions in "oDe". Keats does a great job of personalizing his poems. It takes true talent to make a poem about an urn interesting and beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really like your view on the symbols or hints at death in these poems, I'm not very good at any kind of in depth analysis of poetry so it helps me to read what conclusions everyone is coming to about things. I agree Keats is very good at personalization.
ReplyDeleteMe too, I'm alright at in-depth analysis but I love hearing other peoples interpretations it helps me understand the poems better as well!
ReplyDelete