Sunday, October 14, 2012
Mortality Realizations
I feel like this is the first time that I have felt totally comfortable writing my post for the week. Maybe it is because I have studied Keats before, maybe it is because I had to do research for my presentation, or maybe it is just his subject matter that I relate better to. What jumped out at me was the constant reference to man's mortality. I preferred the approach through "Ode On A Grecian Urn" more than "Two Sonnets: To Haydon, With A Sonnet Written On Seeing The Elgin Marbles". In "Urn" it is the reverential tone of the immortal that highlights the mortal life. All of the things on the urn shall last for eternity, whereas the appreciation of the audience is fleeting. I like that this shows the urn as a stable and strong object. In "Elgin Marbles" Keats reflects on his mortality in a very harsh, cacophonous way that is almost unsettling to the reader. He compares himself to a sick eagle (5) and describes his mortality as an "unwilling sleep". In "Urn" he discusses the better qualities of immortality, like the lovers who will always love and never grow old or the branches that will never be bare. At least for me this reading made me feel at ease with my "fate", perhaps it was the final lines that tied it all together for me. I enjoyed all three poems, but "Ode on a Grecian Urn" will always be one of my favorites.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought his comment on mortality, which you pointed out as an "unwilling sleep" is a very human response. I do not think I will ever be ready to die, especially at my age now. Through my own view, I look at Keats, and maybe he's not ready either, but then who is? There are very few cases or situations I can imagine that would warrant a welcoming of our final mortal act: dying. For example someone who has fought a long battle with cancer, they might have come to peace with their mortality and are willing for the big sleep.
ReplyDeleteThis is bringing up a lot of philosophical debate in my head (maybe just for the fact that I am studying some philosophy great right now), too much to write in a little comment.
"Ode on a Grecian Urn" was my favorite as well.