As we are progressing through the readings, it seems as though we are seeing more texts that contain plot and character devices. There are numerous differences between the description- based texts, such as Darwin or the guide to the picturesque and more recent poems, like Child Harolde and The Lay of the Last Minstrel.
This is not to say that description and imagery is not a major component of The Lay but it is no longer the main focus of the poem, compared to the recounting of events.
Interesting. I kind of mentioned this in my post, how the structure of the poem almost reads like chapters in a book, and would make since, considering Scott would go on to become a great novelist.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you as well. It is interesting to see the differences between the poems we are reading as compared to the ones at the beginning of the semester. I prefer poems with plots and characters. They keep me more interested. I have a bad tendency to get attached to fictional characters.
ReplyDelete