Thursday, October 18, 2012

Scott's poem as a novel

I believe the reason why The Lay of the Last Minstrel feels like a novel is because of the details in characters and the description of the surroundings. Other poems seem to be descriptive of vague ideas or nature, but Scott was detailed about the surroundings and characters just like novels tend to do. One example is in stanza three to five where the groups of men and women are characterized by the size of group which give the reader a better visual of the people in the poem. I do think there should be a reason for why he decided to write this poem in a novel form.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about him being descriptive with the physical and most poetry before this being vague inclinations about nature or some political issue that we, today, know nothing about. I think you make a good point at the end; I want to know why he decided to write this way, and then why not just write a novel. Clearly he is going in that direction. Maybe he wanted a narrative poem and then it unexpectedly got longer and longer then he maybe he was like 'I guess I'll be a novelist now!' :P

    ReplyDelete