Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sing Minstrel!

I enjoyed the Lay of the Last Minstrel more than I thought I would. I was expecting it to be a bit boring and stiff but I was very much surprised by the content of the epic poem. To make a poor analogy, I couldn't help but compare the poem to George Martin's "Game of Thrones". Both contain elements of intrigue, action, magic, revenge, and love. I thought Scott did an excellent job of creating a spooky setting for the monastery and the dead body of Scott. I also enjoyed how Scott interwove the minstrel into the story. Like others there were words that I didn't know, but the online resource had many of these words defined for the reader already, which I was extremely glad for. Also, another small problem was that the Lady Janet and Lady Margaret were both referred to as just Lady so it was a little confusing when I first read it.

1 comment:

  1. I love Game of Thrones! I can see what you mean based on the many feuds between families.

    ReplyDelete