Thursday, November 29, 2012
Byron the Giaour
Reading the notes I discovered that Byron experienced a similar situation as the Giaour with the slave Leila. Byron had an affair with a Turkish slave in Athens whom he saved from being executed in a similar manner as Leila. She was sown onto a sack and was to be thrown into the water, but Byron saved her by bribing them to lend her to him instead. I found this in google books; it turns out there is an entire book about Byron's love affairs by Francis Henry Gribble. So this poem was definitely a portrayal of himself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find it very interesting that Byron experienced so many odd things. It makes since that he would use his crazy experiences for poetry material. It definitely makes for an entertaining read.
ReplyDeleteI guess as the saying goes, you write what you know!
ReplyDelete