Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Confused but Content

So, I don't think I fully understand what was happening, but because I enjoy Lord Byron's style it was still enjoyable, if not slower paced.  Other blog entries have talked about how you have to take it one line at a time, and I totally agree.  I found myself highlighting a lot of two-lined quotes, but never really grasping the full point.  I marked 16 different instances, but I know I would have marked more if I better understood the overall point.  I also really enjoyed his use of color alliterations "silver-sheathed" (355), "garb of green" (357), and "coral caves" (386).  It really helped the poem flow and pick up speed, especially with the lengthy descriptions.  I'm typically not a huge fan of footnotes, and I normally read them at the end, but I found that reading them as I went along really enhanced this reading experience.  Lord Byron is just so charismatic in the footnotes that it propelled me along in the poem.  Also, I have a question.  Line 1048 has the phrase "love will find its way"--is this where this saying originated? I tried, very briefly, to find an answer online, and I just saw cheesy blogs and wedding-on-a-budget ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment