Thursday, November 29, 2012

Unbelievable

I can't say that I really liked the Giaour but it was interesting to read. What amazed me even more was that, yet again, Byron used his own experiences to write. Supposedly Byron saved a Turkish slave from the same fate that Leila suffered and for the same reasons. It's almost unbelievable. How is it that one person can experience so many different adventurous things? It almost seems like cheating, and perhaps a little unfair to other writers. Anyways, I didn't particularly like the ending. In my opinion anyone who throws a woman overboard into the ocean (or river?) to drown to death deserves a horrible death, and the Giaour shouldn't have felt so guilty about it. However, I did find it interesting that Leila ( being the damsel in distress) wasn't saved from her fate. I feel that Byron was creating a new genre, besides creating the Byronic hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment