Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nationalism and the Giaour

The discussion on Tuesday definitely helped me understand the poem more, as I can never seem to grasp a political aspect from these from just reading them. On looking back though, it does make sense. The narrator  uses diction that is often associated with national pride, like freedom and glory. These types of words show up in a lot of wartime poetry later on during the world wars. One thing that I still don't completely understand is that if each of the main characters are representations of the countries, with Leila as Greece, is Byron saying that Greece is dead? This seems somewhat anti-Muslim from what I can tell.

1 comment:

  1. I think what the poem is inferring is that Greece was frail and beautiful, but was very problematic between the two countries. Without greece as a problem, there would be no more fighting.

    ReplyDelete