Byron's use of biographical information feeds into making himself a brand. After reading about Byron's similar situation I really saw the genius in his self promotion. Byron's immense popularity was fueled by his scandalous affairs and he chose to use personal stories to bait a wider audience. Readers not only are collecting his "brand", the poet, but also Byron's experiences.
I think he was kind of self-promoting too, but since he sounded like he didn't really like talking about his own situation I feel it was a cry for sympathy or empathy or something. Him making himself into a "brand" is an interesting thought though.
ReplyDeleteI agree. He was genius in making himself a brand. I think that some poets would have felt above this but Byron understood that sometimes when you're that popular the best way to get people to read your poetry is to include a little of yourself.
ReplyDelete