Thursday, November 1, 2012
I don't know what to think about "The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere." I think what I found most perplexing was the odd juxtaposition between style and theme. Truly reflective of the title, the piece was very lyrical and sing-songy. It felt like I was reading Shel Silverstein at times, but with much more complicated themes. I think this can be attributed to the ABAB quatrains and the slight variances on repetition of lines. I found it interesting that there were some stanzas that moved away from this format, and many of them were characterized by repeating lines (like in II and III). But unlike Lewis's repetition, which seemed to cause more drama and add thematic tension to the work, I feel like this repetition acts differently. It seems to be adding to the speaker's character, like in section II where he repeats "fog and mist"; it seems like the speaker is trying to convince himself that it happened? Speaking of, why? Regardless, that's what it feels like to me. The tension does not seem to originate from the repeating lines, but from the breaks in style and the stark contrast between style and subject.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment