I was a little apprehensive when we were assigned to read more Wordsworth. I had a difficult time when we had to Tinturn Abbey because it was so difficult to understand. So when we had to read 100 pages of Wordsworth and Coleridge I was very nervous. However, I found that most of the poems we had to read were not that difficult to understand. Most did not have a strange metrical form, rhyme scheme, and were not extremely convoluted. I do not mean to say that the poems did not make me think, or were simple. The Rime Ancyent Marinere was, to say the least, a very interesting and thought provoking poem, and also a very good poem to read on Halloween. It is almost as good as reading Poe. After reading it, one of the things that stuck in my mind was the thought of why Coleridge would choose a bird as the source for everyone's misery in the poem. Why is the act of killing the albatross so horrendous that the Marinere has to roam the world for eternity telling his tale. Also I did enjoy the poems that we were supposed to pay attention to (Goody Blake, The thorn etc) but the poem I enjoyed the most was "Lines written at a small distance from my house". It is my favorite poem because even though it is a very simple poem it seems to reveal the most about Wordsworth. It almost seems as if this poem were private letter written by Wordsworth to his sister. I especially loved the lines:
"Love, now a universal birth,
From heart to heart is stealing,
From earth to man, from man to earth,
-It is the hour of feeling."
It seems that Wordsworth wants only to celebrate a simple moment of joy for one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment