I am unsure why the Albatross was shot. At first it seems like there was a connection to the Albatross, like a kinship. It give the Mariners a sense of friendship it felt to me (like how they would feed it biscuit-worms and hailed it in God's name). Was this suppose to be a moment of human paranoia? Because it doesn't sound like an accident. I'm just trying to understand the idea or the reason of shooting the bird. I guess the language made it difficult for me to grasp on to a reason.
I am also curious, if anyone might know, if this was the poem that started the legendary curse of the Albatross or was this something that was well known during the time or discussed beforehand. Though I haven't read this in a long time, I couldn't remember if this was the first written or oral account of what happens should the Albatross be shot. If anyone knows, I am very interested in hearing about that!
I think the reason beyond shooting the albatross was meant to be ambiguous, but for me, it always seemed like a knee-jerk reaction, no real reason or thought behind it, kind of like when a kid opens a car door on the highway just to see what happens.
ReplyDelete