In class on Tuesday, we talked about the breaks in the poem and how the asterisks represented some action taking place? Is that right? I know the professor said one break represented Leila drowning and I found this to be a very interesting way of describing such a morbid event. Although it is really not describing it at all- it's the lack of words, letting the silence and empty space do the talking. It allows the reader to vividly see in their mind the scene that is taking place, and it creates a dramatic effect. When I read the poem on my own I, of course, completely missed the significance of the asterisks, I just found them to be annoying, but now I think it's rather fascinating.
All pictures of Byron make me laugh because he looks so very arrogant.. this one is no exception.
I mean, come on, what a douche.
I loved your post. I agree about the breaks in the poem, Byron was clever to use that technique. Also, you're right, Byron does look like a douche in the portrait.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. I missed the significance of the breaks completely. When I was reading the poem, I thought that perhaps the breaks were missing lines from the poem, or discrepancies in translations. I love that Byron relied so much on silence to convey the emotion of the poem. It reminded me of when movies omit the soundtrack during a pivotal emotional moment because the silence is more poignant. I loved this after Professor Porter pointed it out.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the picture! It made me laugh.
I also missed the significance of the breaks! After she explained them I was beside myself. So crafty of Byron. and I loved the picture. Oh so arrogant.
ReplyDelete