When I first read Wordsworth I was a bit skeptical about his style of writing not so much about nature but the fact that it revolved around a memory. At first I thought: maybe he was trying to make something he experienced worth experiencing and therefore decided to write about particular moments in his life to make them sound more interesting than they were. Reading The Prelude I still got the sense of this around line 70:
"I believe
[First Part]
That there are spirits which, when they would form
A favored being, from his very dawn
Of infancy do open out the clouds
As at the touch of lightning, seeking him
With gentle visitation-quiet powers,
Retired, and seldom recognized, yet kind,
And to the very meanest not unknown-
With me, though rarely, in my boyish days
They communed."
So these "spirits" that he talked about he felt that they would rarely communicate with him when he was young. If this were true than that is amazing that at such a young age he witnessed or experienced such awesome and rare gift. Correct me if I'm wrong but when he says spirits I think of something only he could see like a ghost or something he imagined. If that is the case and he "rarely" communicated with them than it does actually sound like the story could be somewhat made up to make his past worth experiencing.
No comments:
Post a Comment