When I think about what we've read of Wordsworth's I can't help but think of some of the amazing places I've been lucky enough to go. I adore the country of Ireland and have been lucky enough to go several times...it is my Spring Break destination. I thought I had seen nature at it's most beautiful...that is until I visited the Emerald Isle for the first time.
 |
| I totally took this! It's ok to be jealous!!!! |
|
The fist time I stood at the Cliffs of Moher and looked off the edge of a continent it took my breath away. I can totally understand why Wordsworth felt the way he did about nature. I have seen the majesty of what nature has to offer and I am in awe. In Northern Ireland there is a formation called the Giant's Causeway which is 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcanic eruption.
 |
| This is at the Giant's Causeway...just not the impressive part |
 |
| Don't let the science fool you! This was created by Benandonner running away from Finn MacCool! |
|
|
I think that everyone should have at least one experience in their lives that could lead them to having a Wordsworth moment. When I am having a particularly bad day I can not only look at images...but place myself there in memory. And though the experience itself was amazing, my ability to return there over and over is more amazing.
I agree with you! There are some really beautiful places that I've been to and the experience is almost profound. What I love most about the romantic poets is their ability to express the feeling they get when they discover someplace beautiful. And the special feeling the memories of those beautiful places give you. I read The Prelude with so much emotion because I know exactly what Wordsworth means when he describes some of these feelings.
ReplyDeleteLovely pictures! It's funny, I actually have thought of moments of seeing beautiful nature to be "Wordsworth's moments". I see that even you were having a "Wordsworth moment" as you typed this because you were remembering and trying to connect back to those feelings you experienced.
ReplyDelete