Monday, December 3, 2012

Tintern Abbey 2.0

So while reading Prelude, I was struck with the same feeling that I did when I read "Tintern Abbey" for the first time.  I couldn't really place exactly what the feeling was until I got to line 298 that reads "There are in our existence spots of time / Which with distinct preeminence retain/ a fructifying virtue"  (298-290) and then read the footnote for line 294 that informs the reader that "Tintern Abbey" had been written six months prior.    "Tintern" focused more on trying to relive the experience in times of need, yet "Prelude" is more about the act of remembering and the memory itself.  I am a firm believer in the thought that the memory is more important than the actual experience because that is what you will refer back to for the rest of your life, and I feel like this poem better explains that thought.  I also really enjoyed the lines "It was in truth/ An ordinary sight, but I should need/ Colours and words that are unknown to man/ To pain the visionary dreariness" (319-322).  I've talked about it before in class, but everyone should have those awesome moments.  I don't mean "awesome" in the way that we use the word now, but in the way it was used during this time: something that induced awe.  If you were able to describe that experience then I feel that the value would be udnermined.  Those kinds of experiences shouldn't be shared.  They should be private, and I feel like that is what Wordsworth is trying to describe in this section of the poem.  Although I always walk away with more Wordsworth insight after we break it down better in class.

1 comment:

  1. While I do agree that some of those moments should be private I think some are meant to be shared. I think Wordsworth would want us to share our experiences...like he did with his poetry. Some moments are to be kept to yourself but part of the power of nature is sharing it with others so that they may have their own moment too :)

    ReplyDelete