A long time ago, when I was a kid (because I’m like forty
years old), my best friend and I would walk barefoot through alleyways after a
rain. We squashed the mud through our toes and didn’t worry about broken glass
or sharp rocks cutting our feet. We were pretty much savages. We called the alleyways
the wasteland, and made up comic book plots as we covered ground. Lightening
struck a telephone pole once. I was no more than forty feet from it. This is a
true story.
Wordsworth’s Prelude reminds me of these memories. Brace
yourself for the startling revelation that I actually really liked the poem, A
LOT. At times it reminded me of Kerouac, with its kind of schmaltzy romancing
of youth, the kind of stuff I really liked a few years back. And like most
things that remind me of Kerouac, I was also reminded of Thomas Wolfe,
especially You Can’t Go Home Again.
On a philosophical note, I really like how Wordsworth
presented the reciprocity between the environment and morality. We see this
most in the development of Wordsworth’s sense of humanity in natural settings—I
know I feel like some part of my morality was undoubtedly forged walking
through those alleyways as a kid. In fact, my friend and I have a tacit understanding
of West Texas as a place unequivocally tied to our sense of moral integrity.
Red Dirt. Oil Fields. And Gas Stations 4 life.
I liked the nostalgia feel that you took from the poem. It's easy to do and easy to relate to. Poems that make you relate your own memories too always have a lasting impression on an individual. Squishing toes through mud without fear of glass is a familiar feeling for me too, which is surprising because I spent most of my childhood consumed with girly things.
ReplyDelete