Thursday, December 6, 2012

Infantine Desire

First off, I have to say that I'm really glad The Prelude was the last poem on the list for this class. Wordsworth really captured the road of nostalgia that we all face from time to time, and I found it even more interesting how we got to see a little more into his life through his own depiction of it rather than reading it from a biographical book. My favorite lines are the following from part two of the poem:

"And is there one, the wisest and the best
Of all mankind, who does not sometimes wish
For things which cannot be, who would not give,
If so he might, to duty and to truth
The eagerness of infantine desire?"

I'm sure we've all thought about going back in time to our childhood, but I don't think I've ever read this emotion in such a way. All I can say is this: Damn... Wordsworth is good.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, I love that Wordsworth used nostalgia in poem, I felt like he was one of the few who did this in the romantic period.

    ReplyDelete