Thursday, December 6, 2012

Getting Back to Childhood

Writing the poem looking back on his childhood and the things he often did as a child bring back some sort of nostalgia for all of us, but it is not in that point of view at all. It is still grown up Wordsworth reflecting on and telling of his childhood entwined with nature. He always has this aspect of heavy reflection on himself and others in his poetry, but sometimes I think we can reflect best by reading the actions directly.I think it would have been interesting if Wordsworth had done something from his point of view as a child and tried to capture how he actually talked and acted when he was a child. When you hear a child saying something interesting or asking questions you've never thought of, I think it can really get people thinking about it more deeply. I know this has nothing to do with his intention for the poem, and I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at this point. I guess I can say I'm okay with Wordworth, but he's a bit too lofty for me, at least at times. I don't know what I'm typing anymore. Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if reading the action directly would help. In his reflection, I also reflect. Can you honestly, from memory, grasp the actuality of the moment? Memory is such a plastic thing, I prefer that he described it as he does. It's a mental photograph, or painting, of this one particular moment, driven my nature and the picturesque.
    I don't disagree with you view of the "out of the mouth of babes" thought. It is shocking the things my niece and nephew pick up and comment on.
    I think it your point ha everything to do with the poem! It's your experience with it. I often look at a poem and think, what would happen if this or that was changed.

    ReplyDelete