Thursday, October 4, 2012
"Contemplation Here"
I too, found this poem extremely confusing it is littered with cultural and political references that I know nothing about. While I am usually a fan of blank verse I find it kind of stressful in this poem. The first half is alright because she personifies nature and I enjoyed the descriptions (although perhaps a little much at times) and thought it flowed well but. Then you get to the stanza where she says" "Then Lost in shadow, contemplation here." And it all just goes over my head. Also, I absolutely hate that she uses the line "contemplation here" I may be missing the point of what she's trying to do with this but to me the phrase seems pretentious. It's like she's trying to be deep but also telling the reader they need to think deeply. I feel like a poem shouldn't out right tell you to think deeper. After this point we go into a long description of what seems like political history that disconnects it from the first half of the poem for me. However, this disconnect sort of falls in line with the trickle down theory used in her sonnets. We have left the sublime and entered the scene. Despite the poem's difficulty I do still like this style. However, the poem also talks of her own personal struggles but it is so cluttered with references and depiction's of nature that poem becomes difficult to read and her point becomes lost. I preferred her sonnets which as someone else said were very deep and emotional. This piece feels like its trying to accomplish to much and just leaves me feeling frustrated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment