In Smith's "To the fire-fly of Jamaica, seen in a collection," I found a surprising amount of sensory imagery, most of it relating to either sight, which easily coincides with the idea of a firefly, and smell, particularly of the firefly's original surroundings.
The appeal to the sense of sight is perfectly understandable, seeing as the identifying characteristic of fireflies are their luminescence. Every stanza refers to light or color in some way. When it comes to light itself, the descriptions are usually having something to do with brightness itself, ("light," "dark," "bright," "glancing," "shady," "gleams," "glow," "radiant," "faded," "lucid," "glare," "dazzling," "flashing," "pale") or with the time of day and its resulting effect on light itself ("moonless night," the "sun" "sinking" away, "midnight beauty"). While the use of light and its resulting imagery is expected, I believe that Smith may have gone a little overboard here.
In addition to light, however, we also have emphasis on the reader's sense of smell, particularly in the first two stanzas. I think Smith's intentions here were to give the audience a better picture of the firefly's natural environment in Jamaica, judging by the footnotes included, perhaps to incite us with more sympathy later in the poem. She describes several spices and fruits, wood, flowers, and goes so far as to describe the colors of some of these things (the grass, for example) which automatically connotates smells for some people.
Not only was Smith's sensory imagery prevalent, but it was also effective, and I applaud her on her descriptions that brought me further into the poem than I expected, allowing me to perhaps delve deeper into her meaning.
No comments:
Post a Comment