Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wandering through Beachy Head

Beachy Head was somewhat difficult to read because of the meandering nature of the poem and the constant digressions. I didn't find the rest of Smith's poems that were assigned as difficult, but they were all shorter so I think length might have had something to do with it. There were a lot of individual sections of the poem that I really enjoyed, but it was hard to picture the poem as one unit. I kept mentally dividing it into sections. I especially enjoyed the section about the hermit, particularly these lines:
                                                                                "Just beneath the rock
                                                Where Beachy overpeers the channel wave,
                                                Within a cave mined by wintry tides
                                                Dwelt one, who long disgusted with the world
                                                And all its ways, appear’d to suffer life
                                                Rather than live"

                                               "Near the lone Hermit's flint-surrounded home,
                                                Claim'd unavailing pity; for his heart
                                                Was feelingly alive to all that breath'd;
                                                And outraged as he was, in sanguine youth,
                                                By human crimes, he still acutely felt
                                                For human misery."

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It was hard to follow the poem with a singular theme, as it seemed to jump all over the place.

    ReplyDelete