Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Poetry as escape

I genuinely enjoyed reading Smith's poems. Her poems are packed with interesting facts and at the same time she is able to describe nature in a sensible manner. It seems as though she used poetry as an escape from surpressed feelings of sadness. In Sonnet XLIV she states, "While I am doom'd--by life's long storm opprest, To gaze with envy on their gloomy rest." it indicates to me that she envied the dead because they were freed of the saddness that haunts her. Despite her deppressed tone this might very well be the reason why her work evokes emotion so preceisly and makes her work all the more interesting to read.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post and I believe that you made a very valid point. From my research of her I learned that she lived a very difficult life for many reasons and I think that her writing was her way to express her emotions.

    ReplyDelete