Thursday, October 4, 2012

Not A Fan

Okay, I am just going to say it: I'm not a fan of Charlotte Smith.  I didn't like the sonnets we read last time, but I thought I might walk away with a different opinion after the class discussion.  No.  I tried to convince myself that I would like her "happier" stuff, but I've realized it is simply not my thing.  Not to say I don't appreciate it.  I enjoyed a few passages in "To the fire-fly of Jamaica, seen in a collection" and some of the imagery in "Beachy Head" but I still found it tedious to read either of these passages.  I think my issue is with the repetitive language and imagery.  I feel like I read the same thing over and over.  I would draw comparisons between "Beachy Head" and Sonnet XLII.  I think the poetry is "nice" but it doesn't draw me in. Maybe I simply don't like being confused.

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar problem, but it's more about the poetic contents of the period. This period's writings are so hard for me to get to the bottom of and even when I start making some kind of headway, I don't know if I'm even headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete