Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Not sure how to feel about "Beachy Head"
After reading the posts that reference "Beachy Head," I'm gonna take the less-popular road and say that I found "Beachy Head" to be a convoluted mess. By saying "mess," I don't mean to give the word a negative connotation, because I think this was Smith's intention. She wanted the poem to flow in a more natural way in terms of thought, which means skipping from one scene to another without clear transitions. However, in my opinion, writing in this way makes her work fascinating but frustrating to read. She flows from historical anecdotes to internal commentary and onto other subjects with less grace than preferred, but I also praise her for this. If one thinks about how thoughts develop, the beginning thought would be at a point that's completely different from the ending one. So in this sense, I appreciate her commitment to this style, but in long format, it's hard to easily decipher her writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment