Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Amazing, yet overwhelming
So this is my first post about Lay of the Last Minstrel. I missed class on Tuesday, so I feel like I'm playing catch-up. I really enjoyed reading the passage, but there were some points where it was hard to keep track of all the different characters and names. I would just have to keep reading and realize it would stick eventually. It reminded me of watching Game of Thrones, when you're presented with all of this information and you have to sift through it as you go. It doesn't help that there is the distinction between the southerners and the others. I think what I enjoy about this is the constant action. I feel like I can get swept up into the action, and it is easiest to understand when they are conversing, as in Canto IV, Stanza VI when he is simply relaying a message. I wish I could have had a more modernized version to compare to. I tried looking for good notes online, but nothing seemed to read the way I needed. I read a little bit about the reception, and I can understand why it was so well received It's like a breath of fresh air compared to some of the more structured and stiff things we've looked at in the past (not that I haven't enjoyed those as well). I'm impressed and excited for the class discussion tomorrow, so I can try and get on the same page as everyone else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found myself head scratching at times with keeping up with the characters and who was doing what as well, but I eventually found the rhyme and reason to it. :)
ReplyDeleteAs far as the last class discussion, we talked a lot about how this poem moves to collecting history and culture. The poem does a great job of illustrating the love he has for his country. His nationalism was also a topic brought up in class. Hope this helps!