Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lewis on Catholicism

While reading "The Water-King" I felt that Lewis was trying to send a message, if you will. It seemed as though "the water-king" was some kind of protector or warrior for young maidens. I think the moral of the poem was for young women to abandon their sexual desires and submit to abstinence, perhaps? I also did a bit of research on Lewis and found that much of "The Monk" (one of his most influential Gothic novels) highlights the downfalls of Catholicism. I think this can be reflected throughout the poem, as well, as it seems he is criticizing catholic perspectives.

Also, I really enjoyed reading "The Erl-King" which Lewis included in the "Tales of Wonder" collection. I too have listened to Schubert's musical rendition many times, and so when I was able to put words behind the music the poem was really brought to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment