Even though this wasn't one of the poems we were supposed to focus on, "The Erl-King" and "The Erl-King's Daughter" stood out to me the most out of any of these poems. One of my favorite pieces of Romantic music is "der Erlkönig" by Franz Schubert. Goethe first wrote the poem in the late 1700s and Schubert later set the poem to music. I didn't realize until reading Lewis' "Tales of Wonder" that Goethe's work was actually based on the legend of the Erl-King's daughter, which is included in this book. I love everything about Gothic stories and weird fairy tales, which Gothic authors seem to have loved too. I'm really glad this book of poetry was included in the course readings this semester!
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
The Erl-King
Even though this wasn't one of the poems we were supposed to focus on, "The Erl-King" and "The Erl-King's Daughter" stood out to me the most out of any of these poems. One of my favorite pieces of Romantic music is "der Erlkönig" by Franz Schubert. Goethe first wrote the poem in the late 1700s and Schubert later set the poem to music. I didn't realize until reading Lewis' "Tales of Wonder" that Goethe's work was actually based on the legend of the Erl-King's daughter, which is included in this book. I love everything about Gothic stories and weird fairy tales, which Gothic authors seem to have loved too. I'm really glad this book of poetry was included in the course readings this semester!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment